The Essex County Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1928. Located just 2 miles north of Danvers State Hospital, "The San" as it was called, was filled to its capacity during operation with over 350 patients. During its time, the closest nearby Sanatorium was located in Hebron, Maine.
In 1960, as tuberculosis cases lessened the Sanatorium helped more chronic disease patients than tuberculosis patients. Eventually the chronic disease patients were moved elsewhere and the last tuberculosis patients were moved to the Middlesex County Hospital in July of 1964.